Jan Van Etten and Marritje Westfael
Jan Van Etten born in Knightsfield, New York to Jacob Van Etten and Annetje Westbrook. Jan was baptized 17 April 1720 in Kingston, Ulster, New York He had two younger brothers, Cornelius and Anthony. He is also believed to have another brother, Johannes. Jan also had three younger sisters, Helena, Jannetjen, and Sara. Jan married first Marritje Westfael 26 March 1738 in Minisink, Orange, New York. Marritje was born in Minisink, Orange, New York to Jurian Westfael and Marritje Cuddebeck and was baptized 31 January 1720 in Kingston, Ulster, New York. She had two younger brothers, Daniel and Benjamin, and a younger sister, Margrietjen. She also had three older half-brothers, Johannes, Jacobus, and Jacob Westfall, and one younger half-brother, Petrus Cole. Jan married second Margaret Le Fevre. The DAR lists Jan Van Etten as having performed civil service in North Carolina, where he is said to have moved, during the American Revolution.
Jan and Marritje's children:
1. Helena Van Etten, born in Minisink, Orange, New York, baptized 1 Nov 1738 in Minisink, Orange, New York, married Jacob Helm 1 Jan 1757.
2. Jacob Van Etten, baptized 17 Jun 1740 in Minisink, Orange, New York, married Jannetje Low 13 Jan 1763 in Minisink, Orange, New York, served in the American Revolution as a private in New York.
3. Daniel Van Etten, baptized 25 Jul 1742 in Minisink, Orange, New York, probably died before 1747.
4. Cathrina Van Etten, baptized 23 Apr 1743 in Minisink, Orange, New York.
5. Maria Van Etten, baptized 9 Feb 1746 in Minisink, Orange, New York, married Gideon Cole 21 Sep 1788 in Minisink, Orange, New York.
6. Daniel Van Etten, baptized 5 Jul 1747 in Minisink, Orange, New York, married Lidia Westbroek. 
7. Margarita Van Etten, baptized 6 Mar 1748 in Minisink, Orange, New York, probably died before 1752.
8. Samuel Van Etten, baptized 27 May 1750 in Minisink, Orange, New York.
9. Margrieta (Grietje) Van Etten, baptized 5 Nov 1752 in Minisink, Orange, New York, married Joseph Ennes 22 Jun 1770 in Minisink, Orange, New York.
1. Hoes, Roswell Randall (comp.), Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, New York, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1997 (originally published by De Vinne Press (New York), 1891).
2. Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church Records, 1716-1830, facsimile reprint by Heritage Books, Bowie, MD, 1992.
3. DAR Patriot Index, Daughter of the American Revolution, Washington D.C., 1966.
4. DeCoursey, Bill, It's About Time, Vol. IV, New Brighton, Minnesota, 2000.
Records of Baptisms of the Reformed Church at Kingston, Ulster, NY.
Page Number Baptism Number Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 130 2763 1720 Jacob Van Etten Jan Jan Van Etten. 17 April Antjen Westbroek Jannetjen Roosa. 130 2746 1720 Juriaan Westvaal Marretjen Jacobus Swartwoud. 31 Jan. Marytjen Koddebek Klaartjen Westvaal.
Source: Hoes, Roswell Randall (comp.), Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, New York, Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1997 (originally published by De Vinne Press (New York), 1891).
Records of Baptisms of the Reformed Church at Machackemeck (Deerpark).
Page Number Baptism Date Parents Child Witnesses 99 1738 Jan Van Oetten Helena Benjamin Westval, Nov. 1 Marretje Westval Lena van Oetten 103 1740 Jan van Oetten Jacob Jacob van Oetten, June 17 Marrietje Westval Antje Wessebroek 104 1742? Jan van Etten Daniel Daniel Westfael, July 25 Maritje Westfael Margarita Westfael 106 1743 Jan Van Etten Cathrina Cornelis van Etten, April 23 Maritje Westfael Cathrina Westbroeck 110 1746 Jan Van Etten Maria Anthony Van Etten, Feb. 9 Maritje Westfaal Maria Westbroeck 115 1747 Jan Van Etten Daniel Daniel Westfael, July 5 Maritje Westfael Margareta Westfael 116 1748 Jan Van Etten Margarita Jacobus Rosenkranz, March 6 Maritje Westfael Marya Cuddeback 120 1750 Jan van Etten Samuel Johannes Westfael, May 27 Maritje Westfael and wife, Apollonia
126 1752 Jan van Etten Margrieta Johannes van Etten, Nov. 5 Maritje Westfael Maria Gonsales, his Wife
1738-March 26. Jan van Netten, young man, born at Nytsfield, to Maritje Westfael, young woman, born at Mennisinck, and both living there, married by Anthony Westbroeck, Justice of the Peace, April 13.
1757-January 1. Jacob Helm, young man, born at Wawasink, to Helena Van Etten, young woman, born at Mannisink, and both dwelling at Mannisink.
1763-January 13. Jacob van Etten and Jannetje Low were married.
1770-June 22. Is married, Joseph Ennes to Grietje van Etten.
1788-Sept. 21. Gedeon Cole, Maria Van Etten.
1745-April 11...The following were received upon a confession of faith in the presence of the above named elders (Jan Van Vliet and Johannes Westbroeck):
...Jacob van Etten and his wife Antjen Westbroeck...Jan van Etten...Magdalena van Etten wife of J. C. Fryenmuth...
June 19. In the presence of Hendrick Kortrecht and Dirk Westbroeck, elders of Mennisink, upon confession of faith and life, as members of our Low Dutch Reformed Church, the following persons were received:
...Maritje Westfael wife of Jan van Etten...
1746-March 27. These in presence of the respected elders of Menissinck on satisfactory confession of faith and life were received as members of our Reformed Low Dutch Church:
1786-May 6. John Van Etten...
1789-May 8. Maria Van Etten wife of Gideen Cole.
1787-Sept. 28. ...Gideon Cole
1786-May 6...Lena Van Etten wife of Jacob Helm...
Source: Minisink Valley Reformed Dutch Church Records, 1716-1830, facsimile reprint by Heritage Books, Bowie, MD, 1992.
From the DAR Patriot Index,
Daughter of the American Revolution, Washington D.C., 1966.
John: b 4-17-1720 d a. 3-20-1786 m (1) Maritje Westfael (2) Margaret LeFever CS NC "
Also listed is one of Jan's sons:
"Jacob: bpt 6-17-1740 d - m Janet Louw Pvt NY "
Excerpts from It's About Time,
Vol. IV, by Bill DeCoursey, New Brighton, Minnesota, 2000.
Inhabitants of (Danbury) Lower Smithfield twp., Penna, 1750-1755, as recorded in petitions, reports, warrants, surveys, patents, etc. include Denis RESER (Dennis DeCOURSEY), Jacob RESER, John PIERCE, Manuel GUNSOLUS, John VanETTEN, Frances DELONG, Moses RAY, John VanETTEN, Daniel SHOEMAKER, Garret SHOEMAKER, Aaron DUPUIS and Samuel DUPUIS. Ralf Ridgeway Hillman, OLD DANSBURY and the MORAVIAN MISSION (1934), p.10,81-88,passim. Hillman prints a map showing the location of land belonging to Jochem SHOEMAKER, John VanCAMPEN, Daniel SHOEMAKER, Jonathan BARBER, Manuel GUNSOLUS, Hugh PUGH, and others."
 Daniel and Lidia listed in the Minisink baptismal records as having children baptized there.
 CS NC = Civil Service, North Carolina. Civil Service is the holding of a civil office, including Constable, Jailor, Juror, Judge, Justice of the Peace, Sheriff, Surveyor of Highways, Tax Collector, Legislator, Ordinary, Selectman, Town Clerk, and Town Treasurer.
 Pvt NY = Private, New York.
© 2014 by Michelle Boyd, All rights reserved.
Return: Home > Ennis > Van Etten
Last updated 4 Jun 2003.