John Gibbs and Frances Robertson
John Gibbs was of Frenze, Norfolk, England. He married first Frances Robertson. Frances was the daughter of John Robertson and Ales Grene. John married second Alice Denny (widow of Henry Herne) 4 February 1603/4 in Scole, Norfolk, England.
John was buried 27 February 1608/9 in Scole, Norfolk, England. His will was written 25 January 1608/9 (6 James I). It was proved 19 April 1609.John's parentage is not known but some details are known about his siblings and other relatives.
John's children, likely by Frances, are:
- Henry Gibbs, baptized 5 Jun 1575 in Palgrave, Suffolk, England, married Sarah Elmy (bp. 23 Dec 1583 in Southelmham St. Michael, Suffolk, England, dau. of Richard and Margaret (Lawrence) Elmy, bur. 11 Jul 1643 in Scole, Norfolk, England) in 1604 in Palgrave, Suffolk, England, buried 12 May 1640 in Scole, Norfolk, England, will dated 4 Nov 1639 and proved 14 May 1640.
- Roger Gibbs, baptized 4 Mar 1576/7 in Palgrave, Suffolk, England, married Elizabeth --, died 1653/4 in Brockdish, Norfolk, England.
- possibly Margery Gibbs, baptized 21 Oct 1579 in Palgrave, Suffolk, England.
- possibly Thomas Gibbs, baptized 29 Nov 1579 in Palgrave, Suffolk, England.
- Edmond Gibbs, married Frances Mayhue 29 Jul 1606 in Thrandeston, Suffolk, England.
- Merrable Gibbs, married John Folger, immigrated to America and resided in Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
- Frances Gibbs, married Thomas Buxton.
John's children by either Frances or Alice:
- Thomas Gibbs, married Elizabeth --, died in 1666/7 in Frenze, Norfolk, England.
- Mary Gibbs, John's youngest daughter.
Records related John and Frances (Robertson) Gibbs but not copied below due to copyright considerations:
- Murphy, Nathan W., Gibbs and Robertson Ancestry of Merrable Gibbs, Wife of John Folger of Martha's Vineyard, and Anne Gibbs, Wife of Rev. John Fiske of Chelmsford, Massachusetts, The American Genealogist, Vol. 88, Oct 2016, pgs. 287-301.
Return: Home > Folger
Author: Michelle A. Boyd
Last updated 22 January 2017