William Hurst and Rose —
William Hurst was the son of Henry Hurst.
William married Rose —. Rose married second John Rushe 4 Feb 1571/2 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
Rose was buried 23 Jul 1601 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
William and Rose's children are:
- John Hurst, buried 31 Oct 1565 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- Henry Hurst, baptized 10 Jun 1561 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, buried 26 Jul 1608 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, unmarried.
- Joan Hurst, baptized 8 May 1563 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, died young.
- Agnes Hurst, baptized 17 Aug 1565 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, married William Albone 26 Jan 1588/9 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- Joan Hurst, baptized 13 Mar 1567/8 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, married 1) Thomas Rogers 18 June 1593 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England and 2) John Tilley 20 September 1596 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, passenger on the Mayflower in 1621, died shortly after arrival in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
John and Rose's children are:
- Elizabeth Rushe, baptized 8 Oct 1574 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, married Richard Ravens 27 Jan 1596/7 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- Susannah Rushe, baptized 1 Dec 1575 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- John Rushe, baptized 6 Jul 1578 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, married Grace —.
- Nicholas Rushe, baptized 12 Nov 1582 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- possibly Robert Rushe, yeoman, married Bridget (last name said to be Squire, widow of — Dale) 24 Apr 1609 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England, buried 12 Aug 1609 in Henlow, Bedfordshire, England.
- Ward, Robert Leigh, “English Ancestry of Seven Mayflower Passengers: Tilley, Sampson, and Cooper”, The American Genealogist, Vol. 55, No. 4 (October 1976).
- Forster, Joy, “The lost children of Bedfordshire’s Pilgrim Fathers: The Tilley family of the Mayflower”, The Mayflower Quarterly, Vol. 65, No. 4, November 1999.
- Bradford, William, Of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647.
Information from Mayflower Quarterly
Their mother Rose remarried after the death of Joan's father to John Rushe in 1571 and had a second family of two sons and two daughters so Joan would have grown up with her step-family as well as her sister and her brother Henry Hurst. In his will of 1603 John Rushe left generous legacies of forty shillings to Joan and each of her children.
Source: Forster, Joy, “The lost children of Bedfordshire's Pilgrim Fathers: The Tilley family of the Mayflower”, The Mayflower Quarterly, Vol. 65, No. 4, November 1999.
Henlow Parish Registers and Bishop’s Transcripts
1561 Jun 10 Henry, s. William Hurst
1563 May 8 Joan, d. William Hurst
1565 Aug 17 Agnes, d. William Hurst
1567[/8] Mar 13 Joan, d. William Hurst
1574 Oct 8 Elizabeth, d. John Rushe
1575 Dec 1 Susannah, d. John Rushe
1578 Jul 6 John, s. John Rushe
1582 Nov 12 Nicholas, s. John Rushe
1611 Aug 24 Elizabeth, d. John & Grace
1613[/4] Jan 9 Grace, d. same
1571[/2] Feb 4 John Rushe & Rose Hurst, widow
1588[/9] Jan 26 William Albone & Agnes Hurst
1596[/7] Jan 27 Richard Ravens & Elizabeth Rushe
1593 Jun 18 Thomas Rogers & Joan Hurst
1604 Oct 4 John Rushe & Mary Sparrowe
1609 Apr 24 Robert Rushe & Bridget Dale, widow, both of Henlow
1596 Sep 20 John Tylly & Joan Rogers
1565 Oct 31 John, s. William Hurst
1569 Nov 17 Agnes Hurst
1608 Jul 26 Henry Hurst, “an auncient bachelor”
1601 Jul 23 Rose Rushe
1606 Nov 9 Mary, w. John Rushe
1609 Aug 12 Robert Rushe, yeoman
1620 Oct 25 Elizabeth Ravens
Source: Ward, Robert Leigh, "English Ancestry of Seven Mayflower Passengers: Tilley, Sampson and Cooper", The American Genealogist, Vol. 52, No. 4, Oct 1976, pgs. 198-205.
 She may have been the Rose Marshe who married a William Hurst 15 June 1560 in Barnet, Hertfordshire, England but it is uncertain. This marriage is recorded in the IGI and extracted from an original source (Batch # M072131, Dates: 1560 – 1702, Source Call #0991347, Type: Film, Printout Call #6911514, Type: Film). There is a claim that William Hurst married Rose Fisher in 1558 in Henlow. According to Robert Leigh Ward, “I am aware of no record revealing Rose's maiden name. In fact, I have no proof that William's wife was the Rose mentioned above, although it seems likely. Not only is there no record of William HURST's marriage to anyone, there are no marriages recorded in the parish register for the year 1558 for anyone at all. Furthermore, the surname FISHER does not appear in the Henlow parish register at all.” (Robert Leigh Ward (firstname.lastname@example.org) to Barbara Fleming, “Re: Hurst/Tilley”, 1 Dec 1997.)
 According Robert Ward Leigh, Bridget Squire “m. (1) at Henlow, 7 May 1607, Richard Dale (bur. 3 Jan. 1608/9 at Henlow)”.
 John Rush, the widower of Rose, and his second wife, whose burial record is also given. MB
 Robert Ward Leigh speculated that William Hurst was “possibly son or brother of Agnes”.
Author: Michelle A. Boyd
Last updated 28 Jun 2004